Sunday, March 15, 2009

7a: Conducting Internet Research

SEARCH ENGINE
Resource searched: Ask.com
Keywords used: Music psychology
Search strategies used: Clicked and read through anything that involved facts and information about Music psychology and weren't trying to sell or promote products and places.
Date of search: 3/15/09
Number of hits: 13,800,00
Relevance of hits (on a scale of 1 to 5): 3.5

METACRAWLER
Resource searched: Kart00.com
Keywords used: music psychology
Search strategies used : Placed my mouse over each icon of a website i could be linked to and read the side section that told me what the internet site was about. If it were helpful I clicked on it and read the information given, if it wasn't, I skipped on to the next icon until I did found something intereseting.
Date of search : 03/15/09
Number of hits: 3,990,000
Relevance of hits (on a scale of 1 to 5) : 2

DIRECTORY
Resource searched: odyssearch.com
Keywords used: Psychology of music/ music psychology
Search strategies used: Like Ask.com, I typed in my keywords, then read through the links to see which sites were most like my topic of research, if they were I would click on the link and read the entire site, if not, I would ignore it and try and find one that was helpful.
Date of search: 03/15/09
Number of hits: 22
Relevance of hits (on a scale of 1 to 5) : 1 - Majority showed different music institutes or colleges that offered music or psychology classes.

**Couple other directories I tried were 10directory.com and searchmonster.org and both came up with little to no results taht were related to my topic of research.

Other Search Tools
I looked up different blog places such as xanga.com and icerocket.com and neither had blogs or videos posted remotely close to my topic of music psychology. They had blogs about different types of music or just psychology but I was unable to find them combined.


Overall, I found search engines and metacrawlers most helpful when researching information and facts like my topic unlike directories and blogs that are more broad and do not give specific information one might need for a paper.

No comments:

Post a Comment