Monday, March 16, 2009

7b: Evaluating Sources

Book Source: I've only started the book but so far it is discussing more of how composers become musicians rather then children and their musical abilities. I plan to go to the table of content, look up which chapter would best compare to my topic and read that chapter. If it's related I will use the information in my essay and if not, I'll return the book and find another that is related.
Shuter-Dyson, Rosamund, and Clive Gabriel. The Psychology of Musical Ability. New York: Methuen & Co, 1968.

Periodical Source: I found a brief summary of this article in the EBSCO database and decided to go to their website to get the full journal article. It is a great source because it scientifically discusses the locations of the brain, where memories are held, and how scientists believe that the part of the brain where the memories are stored are also close or connected to the same part of the brain that recognizes music and that is why we are able to comprehend our favorite songs and sometimes be able to bring back an old memory. It also has been said that older people with alzheimers have a better chance at remembering things when listening to music because the two locations in the brain are connected, rather then older people who do not listen to music.
Janata, Petr. "The Neural Architecture of Music-Evoked Autobiographical Memories." Oxford Journals-Cerebral Cortex (2009).

Website Source: Though this article was originally published in 1899, I found it to have good information about how music and memory collabrate together so we are able to hear, understand, and bookmark songs in our memories so that later on in life when we hear that older song, it brings back memories of that time period.
"Music Psychology-Memory." Old and Sold-Antiques Digest. 1899. 8 Mar. 2009
http://www.oldandsold.com/articles30/music-psychology-8.shtml.

3 comments:

  1. Hello, I really like your sources, I from what I have read think that they are highly credible and maybe if there are more books that you can find with specialists or doctors possibly can even be more credible and give you an increase in significant sources than what you have now :).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Janelle, it sounds like you have found some good articles. Like Jerrell said, possibly finding more books would be a good option. I also like your idea of finding the relevant sections in a book. Good job on keeping up with the assingments!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Janelle!!!!! Hey how are you? lol oh God i'm so bored. Anyways, this is a good review. I would also suggest some more books, and perhaps some more internet sources. Otherwise excellent job!

    ReplyDelete